Straightening Out the Confusion: Rebonding vs Keratin Treatment
There’s nothing a woman desires more than having soft, healthy, and gorgeous hair. Unfortunately, this doesn’t come easy most of the time. Dealing with persistent frizz and unruly tresses, many of us struggle frequently to tame our hair and maintain its beauty. Thankfully, there are specialized treatments designed to tackle this issue, namely rebonding and keratin treatment. However, selecting the most suitable treatment for your hair can be quite confusing. Therefore, we will explore the major distinctions between hair rebonding and keratin treatment to help simplify the decision-making process.
A perm is a chemical process that permanently transforms the structure of the hair follicle.
Whilst perms were traditionally associated with creating curls in straight hair, they are now frequently used to straighten curly or frizzy hair as well.
Rebonding is essentially a staightening perm. So, as with perms, your hairstylist will apply a chemical to your hair the break down the bonds in your hair follicle. Afterwards, he/she will straighten your hair using a flat iron. This step alters the structure of your hair. A neutralizer is then applied to the hair to stabilize the new structured bonds. After about 30 minutes, it is rinsed off and your blow dried hair will look smooth and silky! Rebonding is a permanent treatment, and your rebonded hair will always remain straight. However, as new hair grows out with its original texture, you can go for touch ups to maintain the sleek texture. Depending on your hair growth, this can be between 3-4 months. Do note that only the untreated portions should be rebonded again to avoid further breakage on your hair.
- Less stress from dealing with frizzy hair on a daily basis
- In contrast to Keratin Treatment, which requires daily heat application to activate its smoothing effect, rebonded hair is permanently straight, which means you get to sleep in for another 30 minutes in the morning!
- While permanence may be an advantage to some, it can be quite the commitment for others. Since your hair is permanently changed, you must remember that there is no going back. This means if you want a change, you simply have no choice but to grow it out.
- All chemical services will cause a certain degree of damage to the hair, and hair rebonding is no exception. However, this can be minimized if the salon uses up-to-date technology and equipment. At Suchehwa, we advise our customers to come in for a treatment 1 month before their rebonding to improve their hair condition and to prep their hair, followed by another treatment during, or 1 month after, to repair any possible damage to the hair post rebonding.
Just as proper skincare maintenance is the key to achieving a beautiful appearance, taking care of your hair through TLC and using appropriate hair products play a significant role in attaining a gorgeous and healthy mane.
We recommend the following post rebond tips to prevent breakage, as well as protect and prolong the health of your hair:
- Replace your conditioner with a light reparative hair masque like Oribe Gold Lust Transformative Masque or Oribe Hair Alchemy Strengthening Masque 150ml
- Before blow drying, apply a heat protectant such as Oribe Hair Alchemy Fortifying Treatment Serum or Oribe Gold Lust Nourishing Hair Oil
- Contrary to popular belief, it is actually better to use a hair dryer at low heat than to let your hair air dry naturally. Find out more in our other blog here. This blog also offers insights into various post-rebonding treatments that are ideal for preserving and caring for your gorgeous straight hair.
Keratin is a protein that occurs naturally in epithelial cells located on the skin’s surface. It plays a vital role in the growth and structure of hair, providing both support and a protective barrier.
The primary difference between rebonding and keratin treatment lies in the fact that rebonding involves a chemical process that permanently alters the hair’s structure, whereas keratin treatment does not. As such, Keratin treatment requires maintenance and occasional touch-ups to preserve its effects.
In the course of this treatment, keratin is applied to the hair using masks and topical products, resulting in a smooth and frizz-free appearance. The hair’s porous roots absorb the keratin, aiding in the reconstruction and strengthening of the hair while infusing it with revitalizing proteins.
- Fills the porosity of your hair and provides the missing protein needed by repairing the outer layer of the hair fibre.
- Helps keep hair smooth, protected, soft, and strong.
- Better alternative for those who have very dry and damaged hair which are unsuitable to rebond.
- Reduces styling time
- Seals up split ends and prevents further breakage caused by bleaching and other procedures
- Keratin treatments are quite costly and generally lasts only about 6 months, depending on hair types and washing frequency.
- To extend the longevity of your keratin treatment, it is crucial to invest in suitable haircare products like Naturia Organic Keratin Shampoo & Treatment. Otherwise, the treatment will not last.
Anyone with superfine or damaged hair should avoid keratins. People with very straight hair should avoid it, too, as it can make hair appear flat and bodiless.
Luscious Hair All Begins With a Healthy Scalp
Dealing with hair that constantly refuses to cooperate can be incredibly frustrating. Not to mention the time and effort spent on styling your hair to achieve the desired look but to no avail. At Suchehwa By Ted, we recognize this ongoing struggle and provide solutions such as rebonding and keratin treatments that can deliver effortlessly beautiful hair with minimal effort on your part. Visit our website or contact us at (65) 6574 9798 or via WhatsApp at (65) 8831 9798 today to wake up with sleek and gorgeous hair every single day!
All | 31 Jul 2023
All | 31 Jul 2023
All | 26 Jul 2023
All | 05 Jun 2023
All | 26 May 2023
Discover the Secret to Radiant Hair and Scalp Health: Why Suchehwa is the Best Treatment Option in SingaporeAll | 17 May 2023